9 Magical Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
Native to Asia, lemon tree (Citrus Limonum) was originally cultivated as ornamental plants. Today, the plant has become much more important than just beautifying your compound. Lemon essential oil is derived from the fruits of citrus plant through a steam distillation process. It has several uses and incredible benefits.
Magical Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is the top selling essential oil in the market due to its numerous properties. It has antifungal, astringent, antioxidant, antiseptic, detoxifying, and disinfectant qualities. From cleaning purposes to activating mental activities, lemon essential oil is a must have oil in your household. It blends well with many common carrier oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and many others, which makes lemon essential oil preferred option by most of aromatherapists. Here is our list of the magical benefits of the lemon essential oil.
Treating Candida Infection
Also called yeast infection. Candida is a fungus, which is a normal flora present in the body. It helps in enhancing oral and intestinal health. However, excess number of Candida in the body is detrimental. When it becomes rampant, it affects the skin, throat, mouth, productive parts, and if not treated promptly can even invade the blood.
Lemon essential oil has antifungal properties that make it effective against Candida (fungus). Studies have shown that the essential oil is capable of inhibiting growth of different strains of Candida. This is because lemon essential oil is high in monoterpenoid, which has a powerful antimicrobial quality.
Improves Mood and Concentration
Inhaling lemon essential oil helps by calming and soothing the mind and body. Studies have shown that the essential oil acts by maintaining elevated levels of norepinephrine. This hormone is responsible for learning and recognition. This makes lemon essential oil a natural remedy for low focus and concentration.
Lemon oil has a characteristic calming nature. This makes it effective against mental fatigue, anxiety, dizziness, nervousness, exhaustion, and nervous tension. The essential oil acts by replacing negative emotions with positive thinking. Studies have also proven that lemon essential oil helps in improving alertness and concentration. This makes it ideal to be used as a room refresher in working places to boost efficiency of employees.
Maintaining Skin Health
Its astringent properties make it a good essential oil to improve skin conditions. It works by constricting skin tissues when applied on the skin. This is why it is used for skin deep cleansing as well as shrinking pores.
For the oily skin, lemon essential oil reduces the amount of sebum produced by sebaceous glands. This in turn leads to reduced oil levels on the skin. The overactive sebaceous gland is the major cause acne, hyperplasia, cysts, and other skin inflammation. Integrating lemon oil in your skin care product can help in preventing and healing skin inflammation.
Lemon essential oil increases the elasticity of the skin; hence rejuvenates tired-looking skin and sagging skin. Its antiseptic properties make it essential in treating pimples and a variety of skin disorders.
Cleansing and Purification
Lemon essential oil is antiseptic, antifungal, and a disinfectant, making it an ideal option for cleaning surfaces. It is used in cleaning the body, dishes, metal surfaces and clothing. Being a disinfectant, butchers use it to clean knives and blocks that easily get contaminated.
Promotes Weight Loss
It may seem unrealistic, but research has shown that lemon essential oil can actually reduce weight. It acts by burning body fats, suppressing appetite, and making you to loss appetite. It has an active organic compound called limonene that is responsible for weight gain. Limonene facilitate breakdown of adipose tissue.
Lemon essential oil has a high concentration of vitamins. This makes it effective in boosting body immunity. It also stimulates the ability of white blood cells, which increases your body’s ability to fight diseases. It improves blood circulation in the body.
Treating Stomach Illness
Lemon essential oil has carminative properties. It is therefore used to treat various stomach complications including acidity, stomach upset, indigestion, and cramps.
Lemon essential oil is used to back pain, headache, facial aches, and neck pain. Whether the pain is acute or chronic, pain robs you of peace and the opportunity to enjoy life. There are a number of conventional medications that are used to treat pain, as well as natural remedies that trigger the brain.
A study was conducted in 2002 on rats that were experiencing severe pain. The rats were made to inhale the fragrance of lemon oil regularly for four weeks. At the end of the research, it was found that rats that were exposed to lemon essential oil showed a decreased indication of pain as compared to the control group. When neural activities of the cats were measured, it was found that lemon oil alleviated levels of c-fos. This is both a gene and protein that controls the production and survival of nerve cell.
Uses of Lemon Essential Oil
- It is used in laundry as a disinfectant and cleanser. It is especially useful when your clothes stayed in the laundry for long. Simply, add a few drops of the lemon juice to get rid of the nasty smell.
- As a teeth whitener, use blend lemon essential oil with baking soda and coconut oil. Rub the mixture on your teeth for two minutes, then rinse off.
- You can get greasy due to activities such as washing a car or a bike and fail to wash the grease off using a regular soap. Take advantage of the cleansing properties of the lemon essential oil by adding a few drops into your normal soap and get your hands clean.
- To cleanse your body, combine two drops of lemon oil with eight ounces of water. Drink the mixture each morning to get your kidney, liver and digestive system cleaned. You can also add the lemon essential oil to public drinking water to kill germs.
- To use as a face wash, mix lemon essential oil with baking soda and use the mixture to wash your face. The essential oil has compounds that help in improving your skin’s complexion, giving you a smooth, soft face, free from acne. It acts by deeply nourishing the skin.
- Lemon essential oil is effective against fever, malaria, and typhoid. To eradicate such communicable diseases, use a blend of peppermint and lemon oil to rub the bottom of your feet. This helps in reducing fever and providing pain relief.
- Keep your cut avocado and apples fresh, by using lemon oil. Lemon oil when combined with water is used to prevent the cut avocado and apples from turning brown. This is due to its disinfectant properties.
- Improve the taste and aroma of your food by spicing it up with lemon essential oil. Lemon is enriched with high content of vitamins and also helps in boosting digestion process. Add a few drops of the lemon essential oil to soften butter and fish and steamed vegetables.
- For immune support, mix lemon oil with coconut oil and rub the blend on your neck. It helps in stimulating lymphatic drainage, hence speeding up cold eradication.
- Infuse lemon essential oil in your diffuser and enjoy the calming and soothing effect of its fragrance. This helps especially when you are feeling down and is looking for something to lift your spirit.
- Are you looking for a natural remedy for weight loss? Well, lemon essential is very useful in reducing weight as well as satisfying your appetite. Just add a few drops of the essential oil in your beverages or drinking water.
Lemon Essential Oil Recipes
Natural Laundry Scent
- Five drops of bergamot essential oil
- Four drops of lemon essential oil
Mix both the essential oils together and place the mixture on a dampened wash cloth. Incorporate it in a dryer during the 1/3 last drying cycle.
- Six drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Four drops of pine essential oil
- Two ounces of purified water
- Six drops of lemon essential oil
- Two drops of peppermint essential oil
Mix all the essential oils and water in a glass spray bottle. Mix thoroughly and spray the mixture in your room to eliminate bad odors and replace it with a sweet fragrance.
- Three tablespoons of unaccented liquid Castile soap
- One cup of baking soda
- Fifteen drops of lemon essential oil
Add all the ingredients in a glass bowl and mix properly to form a paste. Put a small amount of the paste on a damp microfiber cloth and use it to scrub on the surface. If the stains are really strong, leave the mixture there for a while. Keep the remaining soft scrub in a glass jar for future use.
The cleansing, purifying, anti fungal, antiseptic, and invigorating properties of lemon essential oil make it on the top versatile oil as well as the best selling oil in the market. Include it in your essential oil kit today by ordering one from your nearest stores.