Best Essential Oils for Cold – Ease Cold & Flu Symptoms
Cold does not come alone. It always needs a company of fatigue, pains, headache, congestion, bodily aches, sneezing, and coughing. Cold is enough to quickly bring your spirits down. Luckily there are many essential oils for colds and flu relief is an all-natural treatment for bringing your spirits back. The common cold is contagious and mainly spreads through the air. You can lessen your chances of falling sick by washing your hands often, evading sick people as much as you can and avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. But following essential oils for cold can eliminate the spread of germs –
Best Essential Oils for Cold
Frankincense Essential Oil
If you are suffering from cold and cough, frankincense essential oil is believed to be the natural remedy for lungs. With it’s rejuvenating, healing and natural cold-fighting properties, this oil has become an ideal essential oil for treating cold and cough. This oil is also recommended for asthma and bronchitis patients. Get rid of congestion and sore throat by using this great essential oil. Being a natural disinfectant, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral essential oil, frankincense oil is safe for children as well. One of the studies revealed that inhaling this oil can help to get rid of the viral infection in your airways and sinuses. You can also use a frankincense spray as an antiseptic to disinfect surfaces.
Other medical studies resulted that frankincense essential oil can help to alleviate postnasal drip, sneezing and a runny nose. It also advocated that this oil contains healing compounds similar to those that are found in many anti-inflammatory painkillers used for muscle aches and headaches.
Remedies for Cold & Flu-
- Steam inhalation– This process will provide relief to congestion and stuffed up airways.
- Put a few drops of frankincense oil into a bowl of hot water. Place the towel over your head and inhale the steam.
- Do the remedy several times per day for congestion relief.
- Hot bath- This remedy will act as a decongestant and reduce aches and pains.
- create a blend of 2 drops of frankincense oil, 2 drops of orange essential oil, 1 drop of eucalyptus and mix them all into the bathwater.
- Soak yourself into it to get instant relief.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is a favorite scent among all the essential oils for cold. Its benefits are abundant such as treating influenza, sinus congestion, coughs, and sore throat. This oil is gentle in nature. It is extracted from the lavender plant. It is considered one of the best oils for cold and coughs due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender oil has tons of other benefits like reducing anxiety, relieving pain, improving sleep, healing burns, restoring skin complexion, alleviating headaches and more. It is must to add this oil to your medicine cabinet because it will continue to serve you even after you get relief from cold and flu.
For sound sleep and decongestion
- Mix 4 drops of lavender essential oil, 4 drops of chamomile essential oil and 4 drops of black pepper essential oil. Use this blend in a diffuser or humidifier.
For bodily aches and pains
- Add 4 drops of lavender essential oil, 4 drops of rosemary essential oil, 2 drops of black pepper essential oil and 4 tsp of carrier oil together. Create a blend.
- Massage gently over the area of concern like chest, neck and sinus area.
Oregano Essential Oil
This super powerful anti-viral oil serves cold and a long list of other ailments. It is also widely known as effective as antibiotics. According to a recent study, oregano essential oil dramatically reduces symptoms of upper respiratory ailments including a sore throat and coughs. Oregano essential oil is also considered to be antibacterial, antiseptic, antiparasitic and immune-stimulating. Just like fresh herbs, oregano oil is overwhelmed with antioxidants. It can be used internally and externally. But dilution of this oil is recommended. Due to potency, it is advisable to consult a qualified specialist for proper guidance.
Besides being a great healer for common cold and cough, oregano essential oil can be used for a variety of purposes such as relieves allergies, skin infections, muscle, and joint pain relief, athlete foot, ringworms and removing warts.
For cough and cold
- Make a diffuser blend by adding 2 drops of oregano essential oil, 2 drops of rosemary essential oil, 2 drops of peppermint essential oil, 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 4 carrier oils.
- Massage gently over the affected areas and get great relief.
- If you have a pure ingestible form of oregano essential oil then put some drops on your tongue and let them absorb for a least 40 seconds before swallowing for immediate relief.
Lemon Essential Oil
every ailment. This energizing essential oil is a great treatment for cold and reducing fever. The fresh and uplifting vitamin-c infused scent can reinvigorate your senses and lift up your spirits. Lemon oil contains antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which not only make it ideal for reducing flu symptoms but also for fighting viruses. This oil is found right in the peel of the lemon. In fact, its peels can be used in cooking or as a room disinfectant.
Lemon oil is phototoxic so it is suggested not to head outdoors into the sunlight after its application. Breathe better by purifying the air with the help of this sunshine. According to a famous study- the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy in 2001, lemon oil was found to be highly effective against cold and other respiratory symptoms.
For fighting tiredness
- Form a blend by mixing 4 drops of lemon essential oil, 4 drops of myrtle essential oil, 2 drops of manuka essential oil and 4 tsp of carrier oil. Massage gently on the affected area.
For fighting flu or cold
- Create a diffuser blend by adding 4 drops of lemon oil, 4 drops of tea tree oil, 4 drops of lavender oil and 4 tsp carrier oil into a diffuser and relax in the mesmerizing aroma of this oil.
Peppermint Essential Oil
The cooling and menthol aroma is effective for soothing headaches, reducing fever and relieving chest congestion. If you are on your last leg and looking for something that can revive your depleted energy, peppermint oil is the best option. It does not only battle fatigue but also improve concentration. Peppermint oil contains a high concentration of menthol that makes it an ideal treatment for colds and sore throats. Furthermore, the mild warming effect of peppermint oil soothes the sore muscles. But if you are applying this oil for the first time, it is important to perform a patch test in order to avoid any irritation.
- Apply two drops on your temples to relieve head pain
- Massage the bottoms of your feet using few drops of peppermint essential oil to reduce fever
- Get relief from chest congestion by rubbing this oil on your chest.
- Mix 3 drops peppermint oil, 3 drops rosemary oil and 4 tsp of carrier oil and massage gently with this blend to ease nausea and an upset stomach.
Thieves Essential Oil
Thieve essential oil is a blend of eucalyptus, clove, cinnamon, lemon, and rosemary essential oils. So, imagine how powerful it will be in curing almost every health issues. You are not an essential oil lover if you do not possess this treasure in your medical kit. The anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-viral properties are known to aid in eliminating cold, sore throat, congestion and even flu. So, no more stuffy noses, sore throats, and fever while you have thieves essential oil handy. Some other usages of this oil are-supporting healthy immune system, maintaining a healthy respiratory system, a great home air freshener, and cleaner.
- Put a few drops in a glass of water and drink it for fast-acting support in healing.
- add to your liquid soap and wash your hands
- Mix 15 drops of thieve oil with 15 drops of carrier oil and massage gently over your chest, lungs and back to improve your respiratory system.
- Add 2 drops of this oil into the water and relieve a sore or dry throat.
There are several methods of using essential oils for cold and cough. Some common methods are-
- Massage blends
- Bath blends
- Hot and cold compresses
- Steam inhalation
Precautions while using Essential Oils for cold
- If you are unsure about anything related to essential oils, ask for the advice of a medical practitioner.
- If you are pregnant, suffer from hypertension or on any medications. You need to avoid certain oils. Again, go for expert advice.
- Essential oils with citrus content are phototoxic so do not go into the sunlight after applying these oils
- Although there are no side effects of essential oils for cold if used properly but patch test is must to ensure you will not have an allergic response to it.