8 Best Essential Oils for Headache (Fast Results)
World of deadlines, skimpy sleep schedule, irksome bosses, household responsibilities, kids nuisance and traffic jams at times takes a toll on us. And sometimes, all the remedies go in vain. Even your quintessential cup of coffee surrenders to that unbearable headache. So what is the solution to that severe migraine? Your search for the best headache cure ends here. Here are the best essential oils for a headache:
Best Essential Oils for Headache & Migraine
Peppermint Essential Oil for Migraines
With its refreshing scent, peppermint oil is the most highly touted essential oils for treating headaches or migraines. Its invigorating fragrance wakes you up and gets you moving. This oil is world-famous for its long-lasting cooling effects, stimulating blood flow in the forehead, ability to inhibit muscle contractions and thus alleviates a headache. Peppermint oil is not only cost-effective but also has fewer side-effects.
Few wonderful ways to use peppermint oil for relieving migraine-
- Quietly breathe in the aroma in a cool dark room
- Mix 2 drops of peppermint oil with 1 spoon of almond oil add a little water and gently massage the back of your neck and temples.
- Apply crushed peppermint leaves on your forehead
- Make herbal tea and sip it slowly
Lavender Essential Oil for a Migraine
This impressive oil has a variety of therapeutic and curative properties. The list of benefits is too long but it is often used to help to relieve the symptoms of anxiety, depression, stress, and nerve related insomnia. It has also gained a reputation of being a natural migraine therapy. Plenty of studies have been conducted on the participants suffering from frequent migraines 1. And most of them revealed that the lavender oil will zap the pain from your debilitating headache. Many researchers have recommended lavender oil for treating headaches and migraines. Anybody who has ever used this miraculous oil can attest to its relaxing and calming properties.
Some of the amazing ways to use lavender oil for relieving a headache-
- Put few drops on a tissue and inhale it for a soothing headache
- You can add 2 drops of lavender oil into a cup of boiling water and inhale the steam
- Mix two drops of lavender oil into a spoon of almond oil and massage on your forehead with this blend
- Draw a foot bath of lavender and peppermint oil since it improves blood flow to your feet and in return relaxes you.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil may be the top pick for treating headache as well as circulatory problems due to its natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Apart from offering a calming effect and reducing emotional triggers, it also has the power to soothe an upset stomach and aid the digestion process. This oil has been used in folk medicine for pain relief, stress reduction, improving sleeping patterns and nausea related problems. Even rosemary oil is highly effective in withdrawal symptoms.
Try out these following methods to use rosemary oil for a migraine-
- Breathing in the scent from your skin or hot bath can provide pain relief
- Mix a few drops of rosemary oil with a carrier oil and massage on the affected area
- Take one drop of rosemary oil into tea, soup or water when experiencing a migraine attack
- Rosemary oil blends well with chamomile, spearmint or cineole oils.
- Diffusing it in a high quality diffuser can make the best remedy for soothing headache
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
If you are looking for a solution to ease your throbbing headache, Eucalyptus oil comes to your rescue. It works as an expectorant to flush out all the toxins and harmful microorganisms and thus open the nasal airways. When we get sick, we also tend to become irritated. Eucalyptus oil improves one’s mood and promotes emotional balance. One study has even backed that eucalyptus oil could reduce pain as well as lower blood pressure.
Best ways to use eucalyptus oil for relieving migraine-
- Dilute 2 drops of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil. Apply the blend topically to the temples, chest, and forehead and back of the neck to eliminate nasal build-up.
- Breathe in the aroma of eucalyptus oil by using a diffuser to treat nasal congestion and sinus pressure.
- Eucalyptus oil help in secretion of sputum which leads to relief from sinus pressure
Helichrysum Essential Oil
You might not have heard about this oil but this oil has been extensively used to treat a variety of medical conditions in countries such as Spain, Italy, Turkey, and Portugal. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it one of the most effective essential oil for a headache and migraine-related issues. In addition to being a safe remedy for a headache, Helichrysum oil is best known for its skin and wound healing applications. The expectorant properties provide warmth to the respiratory system. It helps in to loosen the deposition of phlegm and curb accumulation of new phlegm. Helichrysum oil relieves you from a continuous cough and associated headache.
Helichrysum oil can be used in the following ways –
- Always consult a medical professional before using this essential oil. This is very powerful oil so it should not be used without proper consultation.
- Help relieve a migraine by massaging on temples and back of the neck
- You can apply directly to scars, wrinkles and stretch marks
- Helichrysum oil blends well with lavender, rose, orange, and lime oil
Ginger Essential Oil
Touted as an elixir for headaches, Ginger oil is known as the “All Rounder” oil. It does not only reduce inflammation of the blood vessels in the head, but also a home remedy for instant relief. When migraine attacks, you tend to feel nauseated. Ginger oil helps quell that associated nausea. That is the reason it has been strongly recommended to add more ginger into your diet. Many researchers have advocated the use of this essential oil for a headache especially migraine due to its anti-nausea benefits. Ginger oil works great as a massage oil to relieve pain.
Ginger oil can produce best results if used in the following ways-
- Add 5 drops of ginger oil into 1 spoon of olive oil; apply the blend on the temples, forehead, and back of the neck. Follow this remedy twice a day for 3 minutes
- Follow the instructions carefully to avoid any skin irritation
- Always remember that essential oils are potent
Marjoram Essential Oil
Marjoram oil is fully loaded with analgesic, antiseptic, antiviral, digestive, expectorant, sedative, nervine and many other rich properties. Extracted by steam distillation of both fresh and dries leaves of marjoram plant, this oil is widely used for ailments like a cough, dizziness, nerve pain, runny nose, headache, and migraine. It is considered one of the great essential oils for a headache whether acute or chronic.
Marjoram oil usage for relieving migraine-
- Pour marjoram oil into the hot water. Take in the steam and do this several times a day.
- You can also apply it topically but should always be in the diluted form
- Do not ingest unless you really know what you are doing
Sweet Basil Essential Oil
This strong-scented herb has many analgesic benefits. There is no doubt why many people turn to sweet basil oil when they encounter any kind of pain. The health benefits of sweet basil oil are many such as the ability to treat nausea, constipation, motion sickness, mental tiredness, headache, and migraine. Due to its antispasmodic properties, it works efficiently in order to treat symptoms of whooping cough.
Few wonderful ways to use sweet basil oil for relieving migraine-
- Prepare a blend of sweet basil oil and any carrier oil and massage on the sore and achy muscles
- Make a blend and start up our diffuser. Take a few deep inhales through your nose and get rid of that sinus problem and headache-related issues
- You can also inhale vapors right through the bottle of sweet basil oil for a quick pick-me-up feel
- Reduce stress and anxiety by adding a few drops of basil oil to a diffuser and relax your mind and body
Word of caution
Essential oils for a headache are generally considered safe and have fewer side effects compared to a various headache and migraine-related medications. Though the biggest risk involved with essential oils is the risk of irritation or allergic reaction. That is why it is always suggested to understand the proper usage of particular oil. Always get the answers of all basic questions such as why you are using this oil, for whom you are using, what is the process, how much to use and at what time you should use etc. before giving a green signal to any oil. Going for a patch test will never do any harm. Finally be sure to buy from a reputable company.